As part of our Smarter Workspace Series, we recently hosted a seminar with the European Vice President of Twitter, Bruce Daisley. Bruce provided some key tips on creating a productive and happy workforce, and how to rediscover the joy of work. Below we look at some of the actions suggested to enhance performance within the workplace.
Charles Dickens was a famous British author who wrote 15 novels, 200 short stories and edited a weekly magazine, however he didn’t work afternoons. Nowadays, he would be on a performance review for not attending in the afternoon. Equally the talented Aaron Sorkin, the writer of West Wing and the Social Media, realised he had his best ideas in the shower, so he had a shower installed into his office and took 8-10 showers a day.
In other words, there isn’t a set way of working that applies to all. It is where and when we feel the most secure and the most open-minded that our creativity flourishes. If we want to keep our teams engaged with enhanced performance, the answers aren’t to overwhelm but to provide the routes to creativity for the individual. Some suggestions included:
- Face-to-face conversation. It triggers a form of connection above any text message and is critical to creativity.
- Have fewer meetings and more 1-2-1 chats.
- If you do have a meeting, don’t just have it for the sake of it. Have it because there is something to say or do.
- Stop eating at your desks. It is productive to have a lunch break and recharge your brain.
- Turn notifications off on your phone. It causes stress and an ‘always on’ mentality.
- Practice saying ‘I don’t know’ rather than saying a solution.
- Stick to your working hours. It is scientifically proven that productivity drops if you work more than 40 hours a week.
Watch the overview video from the Joy of Work seminar below.
Woodhouse blends scientific analysis, creative design and behavioural research to understand how your employees ‘tick’. We can help identify your needs and build a space that is fine-tuned to support your organisation. For more than 40 years we have been helping organisations achieve high-quality workspaces that are crafted to the needs of their company. To find out more about how we can deliver your smarter workspace, please call 01707 255300 for a friendly chat with one of the team, or send an email here and we will in touch shortly.