Ashton House was a flagship property of Milton Keynes architecture in the late 70’s, a Miesian icon in the forward thinking new city. Fast forward to 2015 and it was languishing and largely empty. The landlord needed to modernise the space to attract large occupiers and convince local agents, following a history of empty promises from previous owners.
The fabric, envelope and services infrastructure were original, tired and a liability, but some elements had to be retained due to the partial occupancy and it being a rolling rather than single phase programme. This provided a constraint, as did the highly diligent local planning authority, which we continue to liaise with to improve the external amenities and signage.
- Feasibility design, budgeting and early exploration of possible schemes
- Complete turnkey design and build service
- Planning design and liaison
- Liaison with existing tenants
- Marketing material
A refurbishment to modern standards, creating a minimal design theme in keeping with the building architecture. Summary scope:
- Design engineered to allow step-free access from cores without lobbies
- 40,000sqft of concrete floor screed broken out, to allow a raised access floor installation, and preserve window sightlines
- New suspended ceiling to BCO acoustic standards
- Feature exposed ceiling soffits by each lift core to highlight the original waffle slab
- Washrooms reconfigured to increase number and quality of conveniences, with self-contained superloo cubicles
- New passenger lift installed
- Existing windows retained, refurbished, insulated and secondary glazed to improve energy rating and allow the introduction of air conditioning.
- New AC and fresh air systems installed
- Mains switch board replaced, new fire alarm, LED lighting and busbar installations
- Reception remodelled including new glazed façade and feature zinc ceiling
- Cycle and shower hub integrated into existing store room for improved tenant facilities
Take a virtual reality tour of the second floor of Ashton House
It was a challenging project but Woodhouse worked closely with our investment and surveying team to achieve a fantastic end result.